What is Physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy is a health profession that specialises in the musculoskeletal system. Physiotherapists focus to improve movement in order to achieve mobility and independence for individuals experiencing pain or disability. Physiotherapist are trained to assess the person’s condition, diagnose the problem, treat and work collaboratively with the patient in order to restore function through physical means. Using researched and evidence-based practice, a physiotherapist will adopt a range of methods to help an individual recover from injury, reduce pain and stiffness and optimise movement.
“Physiotherapists are experts in movement and function who work in partnership with their patients, assisting them to overcome movement disorders, which may have been present from birth, acquired through accident or injury, or are the result of ageing or life-changing events”
Australian Physiotherapy Association
What does Physiotherapy management involve?
At Allsports and Family Physiotherapy Perth, our physiotherapist utilizes diverse and comprehensive knowledge of injury management and prevention. Taking into account your goals, lifestyle, activities and general health, our physiotherapist will develop a treatment plan.
Treatment Plan May Include:
- Specific exercise programs to improve strength and mobility
- Joint mobilisation to reduce pain and stiffness
- Soft tissue mobilisation techniques (massage)
- Biomechanical assessments of movements to advise correct training loads and techniques
- Muscle re-education to improve control
- Taping to protect joints and injured tissues
- Acupuncture and dry needling
- Electro-physical agents to facilitate tissue healing (heat/ice, ultrasound therapy, TENs, Interferential)
- Airway clearance techniques and breathing exercises
- Assistance with use of aids with, splints, crutches, walking sticks and wheelchairs
Specialised Physiotherapy programs offered:
- Acute sports injury management
- Post-operative rehabilitation
- Neurological rehabilitation (stroke, vestibular disorders, brain injury management, etc)
- Cardio-respiratory physiotherapy